Olympic swimmer Scott Miller arrested after police claim $2m of 'ice' found in candles

Olympic swimmer Scott Miller arrested after police claim $2m of 'ice' found in candles

Police will allege an Olympic swimmer was the head of a major criminal syndicate involved in the supply of $2 million of ice hidden in candles.

On Tuesday, police arrested two men, including the 45-year-old, following an investigation into the ongoing supply of more than $2 million, or at least 4kg, worth of ice.

Police also seized another 2kg of what they suspect is a prohibited drug that is undergoing testing, bringing the estimated street value up to $3 million.

Mr Miller was arrested at his waterfront home in Rozelle while another man, Wayne Allan Johnson, was detained at a home in Balmain.

Officers raided a business in Bankstown, and two homes across Rozelle and Balmain, before the two men were arrested. Both men were taken to Newtown Police Station.

Footage from the arrest shows a shirtless Mr Miller, his face blurred, wearing nothing but a pair of blue jeans as he slumps in a white chair around a glass table inside a sparsely furnished room.

Another man, who appears to only be wearing a pair of blue shorts, can be seen sitting on the other side of the table scattered with items such as a lolly packet, a cigarette box and a brown shopping bag.

Police have now charged former star athlete Mr Miller with two counts of supplying a commercial quantity of a prohibited drug, dealing with the proceeds of crime and directing a criminal group.

He asked not to be brought up from the cells at Newtown Local Court, situated next to the police station where he had spent the day being questioned.

His lawyer Hugh Salter told the court his client would not be applying for bail and asked for the matter to be put off for eight weeks.

Mr Miller’s co-accused, Mr Johnson, was also charged on Tuesday afternoon with supplying a commercial quantity of a prohibited drug and taking part in a criminal group.

The 47-year-old appeared briefly from behind the wooden and glass dock in court, wearing handcuffs and a grey t-shirt, flanked by a corrective services guard.

He too made no application for bail before being led back into the police cells after his matter was adjourned.

Both Mr Miller and Mr Johnson will return to court on April 13.

Police will allege the pair concealed 4kg of the drug known as ‘ice’ inside candles.

It is believed eight candles, each with 500g of ice hidden inside them, were intercepted in a vehicle on its way to Albury in regional NSW.

“The ice (inside the candles) is of very high purity ... it was moulded inside the glass in each candle,” Drugs and Firearms Squad commander John Watson said.

Detective Superintendent Watson said police would allege Mr Miller was the head of the syndicate, which was the main supplier of ice in Albury, a city that has been ravaged by the widespread supply of the drug.

“This was not a small operation; they were well organised and well financed,” he said.

“They were intent on delivering death and misery right throughout the state and in particular Albury.

“Regional NSW has been hit hard with ice and this particular syndicate was intent on contributing to that.”

During the raids, officers found and seized about 1kg of heroin with a street value of $250,000, more than $75,000 in cash, mobile phones, documents, encrypted electronic devices and smaller amounts of prohibited drugs, all which will undergo forensic examination.

A white Toyota Camry, which police will allege was used by the syndicate to transport prohibited drugs, was also seized.

Superintendent Watson anticipates more arrests may come, likely in Albury.

“We won’t be ruling out more arrests and the investigation is alive and ongoing,” he said.

“They’re important arrests for us because it (allows us) to get these drugs off the streets.”

Detectives launched an investigation earlier this year in a bid to crack down on the supply of prohibited drugs, mainly meth, across NSW.

Mr Miller was briefly married to TV personality Charlotte Dawson between 1999 and 2000, and won a silver and bronze medal at the 1996 Summer Olympics.

Investigations are ongoing.