Victims of Las Vegas shooting sued by hotel in attempt to avoid liability
MGM Resorts International is suing hundreds of victims of the Las Vegas mass shooting in a bid to avoid legal liability.
The company argues in lawsuits filed last week in Nevada and California that it has “no liability of any kind” to survivors or families of slain victims under a federal law enacted after the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
High-stakes gambler Stephen Paddock killed 58 people and injured another 851 more on October 1 last after after he shattered the windows of his 32nd floor suite in the Mandalay Bay casino-resort and fired on a concert crowd below.
Around 22,000 people attending the Route 91 Music county festival across the road were sent scrambling for cover as bullets rained down upon them.
READ MORE: Chilling CCTV shows Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock carefully plan the massacre
Lawyer Robert Eglet represents victims who have sued MGM and described the company’s move as “outrageous”.
MGM’s lawsuits target victims who have sued the company and voluntarily dismissed their claims or have threatened to sue.
Investigators are yet to find a motive for Paddock's attack and Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo has said he doesn't think one will be determined.
A search of the 64-year-old's computer in the wake of the attack revealed hundreds of child pornography pictures and online research in preparation for the massacre.
Authorities say Paddock acted alone. No link has been found to international terrorism.
In the lead-up to the attack, Paddock wired $US100,000 to his Australian citizen Marilou Danley, who was holidaying in the Philippines at the time.
Ms Danley said the money was sent to her so she could buy herself a house and believed at the time Paddock was breaking up with her.
She is not considered a suspect in the shooting.
The October 1 attack is the deadliest mass shooting in modern US history.