Thailand cave rescue: Wild Boars speak while recovering in hospital as fallen diver gets royal honour
The Twelve Thai boys rescued from a flooded cave have spoken briefly about their ordeal, thanking rescuers and outling plans for their first meals outside of hospital.
And the Thai Navy SEAL diver who died during the rescue effort will get royal recognition by decree of the King of Thailand.
The 12 boys and their soccer coach rescued from a flooded cave in Thailand are recovering well from their ordeal and will be discharged from hospital next week.
The last of the 12-member “Wild Boars” soccer team and their coach were brought out of the Tham Luang cave, near the border with Myanmar, on Tuesday night, safely ending a perilous rescue and evoking international relief and joy.
The boys and their coach have been in hospital since then.
Thailand health minister Piyasakol Sakolsatayadorn told reporters the health of all 13 had improved. Some had pneumonia when they were brought out of the cave but were recovering.
All will be discharged from hospital in the northern town of Chiang Rai on Thursday, he said.
In a video played at a news conference on Saturday, they appeared well, sitting up in bed, and thanking their rescuers.
The boys, aged 11 to 16, and their 25-year-old coach had planned to explore the cavern complex for about an hour after soccer practice on June 23. But a rainy season downpour flooded the tunnels, trapping them.
Two British divers found them on July 2, squatting on a mound in a flooded chamber several kilometres inside the complex.
Then the problem became how to get them back out through the tunnels, some completely full of fast-flowing flood water.
All 13 were brought to safety over the course of a three-day rescue, organised by Thai navy SEALs and an international team of cave-diving experts.
Some of the group had lost as much as 5kg but had regained some of the weight, and their appetites, in hospital, Piyasakol said.
“I want to have crispy pork rice and barbecue pork rice,” 15-year-old Pipat Photi said in the video.
“I want pork knuckle rice, said 13-year-old Duangpetch Promtep.
Others said they were craving sushi.
But while the group is good health, they still face challenges.
One concern has been how they will deal with the fame, given the huge attention, both from within Thailand and beyond, on the case.
The story is already set for a retelling by Hollywood, with two production companies looking to put together movies about the boys and their rescue.
“We need to prepare both the children and their families for the attention they will receive when they come out,” Piyasakol said.
He warned relatives of the boys to resist giving interviews to media over fears they could have a negative impact on their mental health.
Meanwhile, Bangkok Thailand’s King Maha Vajiralongkorn has issued a royal decree promoting and honouring the Thai Navy SEAL diver who died in a rescue operation earlier this month for the 13 footballers trapped inside a flooded cave in northern Thailand.
Saman Kunan, 37, died on July 6 while placing oxygen tanks in the cave in preparation for the rescue, which was successfully completed last week over three consecutive days beginning on Sunday.
The king’s decree promoted Saman to lieutenant commander while honouring him with the royal decoration of Knight Grand Cross (first class) of the Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant.
Saman was the only fatality in the operation.
The 12 young football players, aged 11 to 16, and their 25-year-old coach were trapped inside the cave on June 23, after flash floods blocked their only exit.
The group is currently recovering in hospital in Chiang Rai province, near the Myanmar border, around 1,000 kilometres north of Bangkok.
- with AP