Main suspect in Sri Lankan Easter Sunday attacks caught in Middle East
Five key suspects in Easter Sunday bomb attacks on Sri Lankan churches and hotels have been extradited from the Middle East, police confirmed yesterday.
Police spokesman Ruwan Gunasekara said the suspects arrived early from Saudi Arabia after their arrest in an unspecified Middle Eastern country.
Gunasekara said the five include the main suspect in the killing of two policemen last year at a checkpoint in eastern Sri Lanka, in an attack blamed on Islamic extremists. He was identified as Hayathu Mohamed Ahmed Milhan.
Gunasekara said a total of 102 suspects are now being held in connection with the Easter suicide bomb attacks on three churches and three tourist hotels that killed more than 250 people. About 500 people were wounded.
Seven suicide bombers blew themselves up at their targets on April 21 while another bomber whose explosives failed at a fourth hotel killed himself later that day in a motel. A woman also killed herself by activating explosives after police surrounded her home.
The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the attacks.
© Nine Digital Pty Ltd 2019