Donald Trump and Mike Pence refuse to wear face masks despite new order
Donald Trump and his Vice President are refusing to wear masks despite a new directive requiring everyone else to do so.
The US President addressed the media in the Rose Garden of the White House on Monday afternoon US time, along with Mike Pence, with both choosing not to cover up.
But all other attendees – including the Secret Service, members of the media and officials – were told to wear face masks.
The new measure was sparked by a coronavirus scare within the White House, with two officials testing positive to COVID-19.
When asked about outbreak there Mr Trump told reporters, "I've felt no vulnerability whatsoever".
He said it was his decision to have all West Wing staff wear the face masks.
Mr Pence's press secretary Katie Miller tested positive for the virus on Friday, forcing several members of the White House coronavirus task force to self-isolate due to potential exposure.
But Mr Pence has so far refused to go into quarantine.
He was seen arriving at the White House on Monday just before 11am not wearing a mask. His two aids walking near him also chose not to wear one.
The Vice President, according to a spokesman, "will continue to follow the advice of the White House Medical Unit and is not in quarantine." The aide added that Pence has "tested negative every single day".
Mr Trump told reporters his government had "prevailed" over the "invisible enemy" when talking about coronavirus testing.
His wife First Lady Melania Trump has more vigilant in practicing social distancing or wearing a mask and requiring staff to do the same.
Mrs Trump increased coronavirus prevention methods to include mandatory masks in the East Wing and in the residence in early April, according to her chief of staff, Stephanie Grisham.
- With CNN