Man suffers 'third-degree burns' after Fitbit allegedly explodes
A man claims his Fitbit exploded on his arm while he was asleep, leaving him with third-degree burns and permanent nerve damage.
Ethan Landers shared graphic photos on Facebook alongside a warning detailing the "potential damage" the popular fitness tracking device can cause.
The US resident alleged he was woken from his sleep last Wednesday when his wrist started burning.
"I quickly realised my Fitbit was burning up, so I tried frantically to get it off," he explained.
"It felt like it melted through my arm. There was smoke coming out of the Fitbit battery and our bedroom smelled like an electrical fire.
"We called a nurse to see if we should be seen and she told us we needed to go to the ER since the wound was white and already blistering."
Mr Landers said the burn was cleaned and x-rays were taken to ensure no debris remained in his arm.
He was referred to a wound clinic where he was told he had suffered a third-degree burn, with the possibility he might need a skin graft still lingering.
"I do not have feeling in parts of my wrist due to nerve damage and I will have a large scar that will be with me the rest of my life," he said.
"This was a traumatic experience and I hope no one else has to go through it. So, if you own a Fitbit, please reconsider using it."
The news comes days after Google announced it purchased Fitbit for $A3.5 billion.
"Fitbit has been a true pioneer in the industry and has created terrific products, experiences and a vibrant community of users," said Rick Osterloh, Senior Vice President, Devices & Services at Google.
"We're looking forward to working with the incredible talent at Fitbit, and bringing together the best hardware, software and AI, to build wearables to help even more people around the world."
Fitbit has sold more than 100 million devices worldwide, with more than 28 million active users around the globe.
Nine.com.au has contacted Fitbit for comment.