Curtis Scott: Footage of NRL star being tasered by police revealed as all charges dismissed

Curtis Scott: Footage of NRL star being tasered by police revealed as all charges dismissed

Footage of NRL star Curtis Scott being pepper sprayed and tasered by police has been played in court as charges against him were dismissed.

Extended vision of what Scott’s lawyer claims was an “unreasonable or unlawful” arrest underpins an application for NSW Police to pay the costs of his nine-month legal battle that total more than $100,000.

Magistrate Jennifer Giles accepted his guilty plea to other minor charges on Thursday but did not record a conviction. She told Downing Centre Local Court no punishment she handed down could match the events of his arrest.

“My client is innocent and we had to fight pretty hard and pretty long to get this decision,” Scott’s lawyer Sam Macedone said outside court.

Scott told reporters the ordeal had been a “really tough time in my life” that he was hoping to put behind him, although Mr Macedone said they would explore bringing a civil case against the police.

It came after serious allegations of assaulting and resisting police were dropped in court on Wednesday when the first snippets of revelatory police bodycam footage showed the incident for the first time.

The Canberra Raiders outside back was intoxicated and barely conscious as he was arrested just metres from NRL headquarters in Moore Park about 2.10am on January 27.

In the extended footage played on Thursday, Scott, 22, was doused with capsicum spray and tasered after police found him sleeping peacefully on his back at the base of a fig tree.

The clearly confused footballer can be heard telling police he was “getting dressed” before changing to a repeated line of “I’ve done nothing wrong” after he was handcuffed and ordered to get to his feet.

It then shows one officer deploy his taser as Scott remains on the ground, handcuffed and moaning in pain after copping pepper spray in the face, having resisted efforts to stand him up.

“Stop otherwise you’ll be tasered,” he was warned.

Scott writhes and screams out in agony before falling silent when Senior Constable Chris Bucknell tells him: “You lash out again, I’ll f***ing taser you again.”

The footage revealed Scott was asleep when police first came across him.

They tried to rouse him by pinching his ear before handcuffing him without formally placing him under arrest.

“Don’t resist, mate,” one of the officers says as Scott lays slumped in the roots of a fig tree, his eyes closed.

“I’ve done thing wrong,” Scott says before being told he is trespassing. “I’ve done f**k all wrong.”

The young rugby league star decided to leave the room on Thursday before the videos were played to the court. Mr Macedone said the “gruesome” incident had taken a big toll on Scott.

Prosecutor Sergeant Rebecca Becroft had argued against the footage being played beyond the point it was on Wednesday, which did not include Scott’s tasering, a move Mr Macedone later described as an attempt to “avoid scrutiny”.

The police case collapsed yesterday after Ms Giles described the police argument that the officers were within their rights to handcuff an unconscious man as “a very long and frightening bow”.

Sgt Becroft withdrew five charges on Wednesday, two of assaulting police, one of resisting arrest and another of indecent behaviour.

But Sgt Becroft on Thursday asked Ms Giles how else police were supposed to move on a person she claimed was “absolutely, tragically affected by drugs or alcohol”.

She said the officers could have ended up in the Coroner’s Court if they left him to continue his slumber, pondering whether Scott could have choked on his own vomit, got into a fight or fell out onto the roadway and been hit by a car.

The officers didn’t go in with “guns blazing”, she said, and gave him “ample opportunity to get up and get out of there”.

“At the time police were acting on the circumstances they were faced with,” Sgt Becroft said.

She said police were being asked to foot the bill for hundreds of dollars in costs Scott’s lawyers racked up in emails and phone calls to the NRL, Canberra coach Ricky Stuart and chief executive Don Furner.

The costs bill also included a $3300 claim for his legal team studying US websites about tasering, Sgt Becroft told the court.

Separate footage of Scott’s drunken night through the streets of Paddington before he settled to sleep in Moore Park was also played to the court.

Scott was sentenced for two counts of offensive behaviour in public, having pleaded guilty to those charges at an earlier court date. No conviction was recorded.

CCTV showed him kick and stomp on a bicycle chained to a pole on Regent St. The court heard that came before he punched the driver’s side door of a taxi and threw his mobile phone at a passing Suzuki Swift.

Mr Macedone said Scott had been drinking at the Ivy in Sydney’s CBD and had no recollection of how he got to Moore Park.

He had not drunk for five months and was mentoring the Canberra Raiders under-16 team about the impact of alcohol, the court heard.

In dismissing the charges, Ms Giles said Scott had already been punished by the intense media scrutiny surrounding the incident and stress at possibly losing his career

“You are clearly a smart person Mr Scott, you are the kind of person on whom this experience has not been wasted,” she said

“Being capsicum sprayed whilst you are handcuffed and not decontaminated for some 19-odd minutes, that’s much worse than anything I can do to you.”

Ms Giles will deliver he decision on the costs application on September 25.