Two arrested for breaching self isolation rules
Two interstate travellers have been arrested for allegedly breaching mandatory self isolation rules in WA and Tasmania.
A 35-year-old man from Victoria arrived in Western Australia on March 28 and was provided a room at a Perth hotel to quarantine in before his arrest yesterday.
Police allege the man breached self isolation multiple times, and on one occasion wedged open a fire exit door at the hotel so he could leave and re-enter without staff seeing, and also used public transport to travel around while out of isolation.
The man remains in police custody and was refused bail on the basis he is likely to reoffend, placing the public in danger.
The arrest comes as WA enforces its unprecedented temporary hard border closure which came into effect at 11.59pm yesterday.
Premier Mark McGowan acknowledged it would cause frustration for many people and turn lives upside down.
"But we're in a state of emergency. The situation we find ourselves in is not of our making," he said.
There will be exemptions for health workers, emergency services, freight workers, people providing specialist skills, judicial services and on compassionate grounds.
FIFO workers and their families will also be exempt but must adhere to a 14-day isolation period upon entering WA.
Meanwhile, a man has been arrested for failing to follow isolation rules after his recent return to Tasmania from Victoria.
The 50-year-old had been provided accommodation for his mandatory isolation, but after investigations by police it was discovered he had breached isolation rules on several occasions and was arrested yesterday.
The man was charged with offences under the Public Health Act 1997 and bailed with further conditions to appear in the Launceston Magistrates Court at a later date.The man has returned to the government-provided accommodation to continue his period of isolation.
The arrest comes as Tasmania toughens restrictions to stop people heading to their holiday homes or taking boating trips over the Easter break.
Premier Peter Gutwein said many elderly people lived in these areas, and they needed to be protected, as the state's confirmed cases rose to 82.
"We must not see during these holidays a flurry of people into those vulnerable communities," he said.
For breaking news alerts and livestreams straight to your smartphone sign up to the 9News app and set notifications to on at the App Store or Google Play.
You can also get up-to-date information from the Federal Government's Coronavirus Australia app, available on the App Store, Google Play and the Government's WhatsApp channel
- Reported with AAP