Trinity Grammar to review controversial sacking of deputy principal
Trinity Grammar has ordered an independent review into the controversial sacking of its deputy headmaster, who was dismissed after cutting a student's hair ahead of school photos.
It came as the Old Trinity Grammarians Association issued a statement saying the community had lost confidence in the school council, particularly its chair, and were dissatisfied with the leadership of the school under principal Dr Michael Davies.
More than 3700 people have signed a petition calling on the school to reinstate the popular deputy headmaster Rohan Brown.
On Saturday, a day after distressed and angry parents and students descended on the school wanting answers, the school council held an extraordinary meeting and resolved to commission a review into the deputy's dismissal.
School council chair Roderick Lyle said the frank and independent review would examine the hair-cutting incident, and the school's investigation into the saga and processes.
"Trinity's council has committed to accepting the findings and recommendations of the independent review and working through a process with all relevant parties thereafter," Mr Lyle said.
"We respect and understand the impact a recent decision to dismiss the school's deputy headmaster has had on some quarters of the school community."
Angered by the sacking, emotional students protested the dismissal of Mr Brown at the Kew private school on Friday and chanted "Brownie, Brownie, Brownie".
At a heated community meeting at Trinity Grammar later that day, it was revealed that the student at the centre of the incident never wanted the matter to go as far as it had.
In a statement released on Saturday, the Old Trinity Grammarians Association said it was very concerned about the fractured relationship between the school council and broader school community.
"In the last few days, the school council’s actions have shown that they are out of step with the school community," it said.
"As a result of the management and handling of Mr Brown’s dismissal, they have deeply damaged the school’s reputation and its proud 114-year history."
It said the school community had come together to express their deep and longstanding concerns with the council's direction.
Some parents who attended the meeting called for the principal Michael Davies and the school council to resign.
About two hours into the event, a woman, who said she was the aunt of the boy involved, told the crowd the family had never wanted Mr Brown to be sacked, and her nephew had been "thrown under the bus" by the college's leadership team.
The boy was now being bullied and harassed by other students, she said.
"This is not what they wanted," the woman said, claiming the matter was resolved between the family and Mr Brown by the end of the first week of school.
"We never wanted Mr Brown sacked," the woman told the crowd, reading out a message for the boy.
"When this happened we sorted it by the end of the week and we said we didn’t want to take it further. Mr Brown and I made up and it was all good."
Mr Lyle said a qualified expert, who would be announced in coming days, would carry out the review.
He said a community meeting that was scheduled for Monday evening had been cancelled due to the well-attended forum on Friday, and moves to initiate the review.