Students hit by NAPLAN glitch can re-sit test
STUDENTS plagued by technical glitches while sitting NAPLAN assessments last week have been given the option to re-sit tests that were significantly disrupted.
The Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority, which administers NAPLAN, said in a statement that the disruptions to connectivity in schools impacted students and may have caused distress.
“Schools have worked hard to prepare for NAPLAN Online, so it is important to ensure that all students have a fair opportunity to demonstrate what they know and can do in NAPLAN,” a statement read.
The Australian Education Senior Officials Committee, with representatives from each state and territory and the Commonwealth, has agreed that students should have the opportunity to re-sit tests impacted by significant disruption.
“Participation will be optional. Students who do not wish to retake tests will not be required to do so. The result of the second test is the result that will be recorded for those students for NAPLAN 2019.”
ACARA will consult with states and territories and details of implementation will be available early next week.
Last week WA Education and Training Minister Sue Ellery issued a “blanket approval” for schools that experienced connectivity issues to switch to paper tests for the remainder of the tests.
Ms Ellery said 120,000 students from public and private schools took part in the writing test on Tuesday, with about 40,000 students “distressed” because of connectivity issues and unable to complete the test.
“It is not acceptable that year after year that we are advised technical issues have been fixed but it has not,” she said.
“The normal process each year is that we provide every school with a contingency plan, that is, they are all provided with the paper test.”
The Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority said it would continue to investigate the cause of connectivity issues.
Tests can be retaken on Tuesday, May 28.