National

Qld records one new cases after record breaking testing blitz

Qld records one new cases after record breaking testing blitz

After a record 11560 coronavirus tests, Queensland has recorded just one new case of the potentially deadly virus as health authorities warn against complacency.

Deputy Premier and Health Minister Steven Miles said this morning that 11,560 tests had been completed in the past 24 hours,

It comes just one day after the first confirmed case of community transmission since May, a 27-year-old Bellbird Park man tested positive to the virus after dining at the same Sunnybank restaurant as one of the two women.

Mr Miles said the new case was a close contact of the Bellbird Park man, who worked at an aged care home on Brisbane’s south side.

The three women – one of which did not contract the virus – at the centre of the rising number of coronavirus cases were earlier this week charged with fraud and providing false or misleading documents.

The 19-year-old and two 21-year-olds, who are also being investigated for a possible link to organised crime, face up to five years’ imprisonment for the fraud charge and a $13,345 fine for the other.

They arrived back in Queensland on July 21 after flying from Melbourne via Sydney. It’s alleged they lied about their movements to authorities and flouted directions to get tested after developing symptoms.

A number of businesses were forced to close and urgent contact tracing undertaken for a number of south Brisbane restaurants, businesses and shopping centres.

Since Wednesday more than 25,000 people have been tested for the virus in Queensland, resulting in massive traffic queues outside drive-through clinics and waits of up to seven hours at hospitals around the south side.