Man dies after his mobility scooter catches fire
A man has died after his mobility scooter burst into flames in front of horrified onlookers in Geraldton, north of Perth.
The 63-year-old man was on a footpath in Spalding Park yesterday afternoon when the tragedy unfolded.
It is believed a battery malfunction could have triggered the blaze, which quickly engulfed his mobility scooter.
Police say they had several calls from members of the public, who heard the man crying out for help.
Fire crews and paramedics raced to the scene but the man had already died.
The cause of the blaze will be investigated by the coroner and an engineer will inspect the machine, which was mostly destroyed.
Police say the scene was extremely distressing for emergency services and witnesses, and they'll be offered counselling.