Investigation launched after five-year-old girl 'sexually assaulted' in NT town
The Northern Territory Children's Commissioner has launched an own initiative investigation following preliminary inquiries into allegations a five-year-old girl was allegedly sexually assaulted by two young boys in a remote NT town.
An own initiative investigation can be launched if there is an alleged failure of service provided to a vulnerable child or where services have fallen below reasonable standards.
Commissioner Colleen Gwynne launched a similar investigation after it was revealed a two-year-old girl had allegedly been raped by a 25-year-old man.
A statement from Ms Gwynne said inquiries over the past three days after the allegations were first raised had caused concerns, not only about the assault allegations but also the services provided to the young girl, as well as intergenerational issues.
9NEWS understands the young girl was allegedly assaulted on Saturday and flown to Alice Springs Hospital for treatment.
She was discharged from hospital earlier this week and according to the Department of Territory Families "is safe and with family".
The department says it is working with NT Police to "investigate the allegations of the sexualised behaviour of three children under the age of 10".