National

Homeless New Zealanders deported from Australia stranded in new lockdown

Homeless New Zealanders deported from Australia stranded in new lockdown
Several New Zealand nationals recently deported from Australia have ended up homeless after completing their 14 days in managed isolation, the Auckland City Mission says.
Colloquially known as 501s, the group was deported after serving sentences across the Tasman and were housed in an "enhanced security" isolation facility in Auckland.
New Zealand records 13 new cases linked to family cluster
New Zealanders deported from Australia have ended up homeless in Auckland amid the city's newest coronavirus lockdown.
But when their quarantine came to an end, some of them didn't have anywhere to go.
Auckland City Missioner Chris Farrelly said several 501s had turned up at the Mission in recent weeks.
They are among a number of people who have arrived in the city with nowhere to stay and whom the Mission is trying to find homes for during Auckland's alert level 3 coronavirus lockdown.
Farrelly said many people had also been housed during the previous lockdown but some had left their accommodation since then.
After quarantine in Auckland, some of the group known as 501s had no home to return to. (Getty Images/iStockphoto)
Once the Mission has established how many people are in need of shelter, the next step will be trying to source accommodation – but Farrelly said capacity in Auckland is limited at the moment.
More than 1000 people were housed in motel units during alert level 4. As the country moved to level 3, they were assured they could stay, with the Government pouring $107 million into providing long-term housing.
Farrelly said some motel units were still available for new people, and the Mission's residential facilities would also be used.
The ultimate goal for the Mission was getting people into permanent housing, and he said the search for appropriate, affordable accommodation was still "full steam ahead".
A spokesperson for the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development said they were working with providers to ensure people housed in motel units were supported as the country moved to higher alert levels.
The ministry would also assess the need for any additional accommodation places as a result of the lockdown, they said.
The Mission has seen record demand for its food bank since the pandemic, and Farrelly said it was expecting another spike.
The phones were already "hot" on Thursday morning with people calling to request emergency food parcels.
This article originally appeared on Stuff and has been reproduced with permission.
You can get up-to-date information from the Federal Government's Coronavirus Australia app, available on theApp Store,Google Playand theGovernment's WhatsApp channel.
Beyond Blue's Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service is a 24/7 service free of charge to all Australians.Visit the site hereor call 1800512348.
For coronavirus breaking news alerts and livestreams straight to your smartphone sign up to the9News appand set notifications to on at theApp StoreorGoogle Play.