Family's fury over nursing home's treatment of mum
The family of a dementia patient who was evacuated along with more than 70 other high-care elderly residents during the Earle Haven crisis are calling for the people responsible to be held accountable.
Michael Irvine, whose mother Veronica was a resident at Earle Haven Retirement Village, told A Current Affair he is shocked by what happened and claimed he didn’t receive a phone call from the facility to say his mother was being moved.
“All I knew was that the staff had left … the police were in there and the ambulance, that’s all I knew,” Mr Irvine said.
“You can’t believe it … you wouldn’t treat your animals like that."
Like many other families, Veronica Irvine’s loved ones found out about this shocking event via social media and Channel Nine.
Earle Haven had been Veronica’s home for eight-and-a-half years.
Suffering from advanced dementia, she has no communication ability, has lost the ability to feed herself and struggles to recognise her family.
Only a month ago, Veronica lost her husband, George, who had also been a resident at Earle Haven.
“Dad used to go in everyday for four hours and sit with her and feed her and then go back to the lodge, ” Mr Irvine said.
“I’m so glad he wasn’t there."
At the centre of this dispute is Earle Haven owner Arthur Miller, and his company People Care.
The crisis unfolded because of a breakdown in contract negotiations between Arthur Miller's People Care and Help Street, who manage the high-care facility.
Queensland Nurses and Midwifes’ Union Secretary Beth Mohle says we need to re-think the whole industry and believes this could happen again.
“We think this is the poster child, if you like, for the problems with what’s wrong with the aged care system,” she said.
“Is it still appropriate that profit can be made out of this?”
Earle Haven has since been slapped with Federal sanctions which ban them from taking any new residents until next year.
The Gold Coast nursing home has remained closed since last Thursday and it is the latest scandal to be referred to the Royal Commission into aged care abuse.
Queensland police say no charges will be laid over this incident.
© Nine Digital Pty Ltd 2019