National

Dad praises government plan to ban caffeine powder after son's death

Dad praises government plan to ban caffeine powder after son's death
The father of a young man who died after ingesting a spoonful of pure caffeine powder has praised the Federal Government's plan to ban the substance.
Today, the government will announce it has proposed a ban on the sale of pure and highly-concentrated caffeine food products, including pure caffeine powder, for personal consumption. It is a major breakthrough for campaigners calling for greater regulation.
Lachlan Foote died at his family's Blue Mountains home in the early hours of New Years Day 2018, after a night out on the town.
Before going to bed, Lachlan had mixed a protein shake with caffeine powder.
In the morning, after realising that Lachlan was not in his bed, his mother Dawn found his body in the bathroom.
An autopsy found he had died of caffeine toxicity after ingesting just a teaspoon of the powder he kept in a glass jar in the kitchen pantry.
Lachlan Foote died on New Years Day 2018, of caffeine toxicity. (Facebook)
His parents told A Current Affair earlier this year that they believed he got the powder from a friend or co-worker.
They have since been campaigning to draw attention to the issue.
"It's very pleasing to hear the news that the Federal Government has announced that it is taking action to ban the sale of pure caffeine powder – a decision that will protect consumers and save lives," Lachlan's father Nigel told A Current Affair.
"Highly caffeinated products are an international problem and the sooner people are educated about the associated health risks, the better."
Senator Richard Colbeck, who holds the food regulation portfolio, said Lachlan's death was an "absolute tragedy".
Nigel and Dawn Foote are now calling for action on pure caffeine powder. (A Current Affair)
"The dangers of pure caffeine powder cannot be underestimated," he said.
The proposed ban would not affect products like coffee, energy drinks, cola drinks and sports foods, which have much lower concentrations of caffeine.
The government will also launch an education campaign to inform people of the dangers.
"Australians are also reminded to be cautious about the products they may be purchasing from overseas or online, which may not be safe," Senator Colbeck said.
Mr Foote thanked the government and his supporters.
He called on politicians to next look at emulating the UK and banning the sale of energy drinks such as Red Bull and Monster to children under 16.
© Nine Digital Pty Ltd 2019