Car bursts into flames after phone left on seat
A fire that burned out a rental car could have been sparked by a Samsung phone left on the passenger seat.
Darwin dad Matthew Mansfield had rented the car and said he had parked it in the shade.
The phone in question is a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime, purchased two years ago from a phone store in Tasmania.
In 2016, Samsung issued a major recall of their Galaxy Note 7 over faults that caused several to catch fire.
The Core Prime was never recalled, and Samsung said they believe the phone is safe.
Samsung officials told 9NEWS it was "very unlikely" the phone was the cause of the fire, as they believed the fire damage was inconsistent with the damage seen in a mobile battery incident.
However, the rental car owner believes the phone, which was "half under a book", could have caused the blaze.
"It could have happened if I was at a servo and I had my daughter and sons in there," Mr Mansfield said.
"What happens if I go in to pay for petrol, what happens if it blew up there?"
He claims Samsung asked him to not print the photos publicly and asked him to keep the incident "hush hush".
Samsung told 9NEWS it would investigate the fire as soon as possible.