Lifestyle

The COVID-19 restrictions Queensland will ease from Friday

The COVID-19 restrictions Queensland will ease from Friday
Victorians have been left out of Queensland's border reopening which will go ahead as planned on July 10.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk previously flagged easing the closure on July 10th - in line with stage three of restrictions but the date for other easing of restrictions has been brought forward a week to July 3.
READ MORE: Hundreds of health staff sent to help Victoria's coronavirus crisis
Annastacia Palaszczuk confirmed borders would be strengthened against Victoria but opened for other states. (9News)
"Due to the current community transmission levels, the border with Victoria will remain closed and will be strengthened," she said.
"Anyone who has travelled from Victoria, including Queenslanders, will be prevented from entering or will have to quarantine at a hotel at their own expense for two weeks."
All other states and territories, with the exception of Victoria, will be allowed to enter Queensland from July 10 with a border declaration.
The fine for lying or providing false information is a hefty $4000.
Victoria recorded 64 new cases of COVID-19 on 30/06/2020. (9News)
Tougher measures against anyone who has travelled to Victoria will come into effect this Friday.
"We just can't risk removing border restrictions for people coming from areas of Victoria right now," Ms Palaszczuk said.
"We believe we have the balance right. We will do everything to preserve Queensland's good record at preventing the spread of COVID-19 in our state."

Which restrictions have been eased?

The Premier also announced stage three of Queenlsland's easing of restrictions will come into effect from Friday. That does not include interstate travel, which will commence on July 10 for all states except Victoria.
What this means is up to 100 people can attend weddings.
EXPLAINED: Which public holidays could be impacted by coronavirus?
Steven Miles has announced loosened COVID-19 restrictions for Queensland. (9News)
There will be contact community sports and the two-metre square rule for businesses will come into effect.
"Casinos will be able to be open and concert venues and theatres will be open 50 per cent or one person per one-square metre rule will apply," Ms Palaszczuk said.
"Churches, and I know this is important, and places of worship, family households will be able to sit together as well. That's all due to the tremendous work of Queenslanders."
We are expecting further details on what else is allowed shortly.

Special rules in place for small businesses

Meanwhile, Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young has provided a bit more clarity on the "per-metre-square" rules.
The four-square metre rule still applies in restaurants and large venues but for small businesses the state government says the two-square metre rule will come into effect.
There is still cap of 50 people but Dr Young said the decision was made taking into account how small some places are and their ability to contact trace.
This will likely affect your Sunday and weekend brunches and smaller restaurants – not your large-scale pubs at this stage.

Queensland extends support to Victoria

Deputy Premier Steven Miles compared Queensland's record of new cases to the recent outbreak in Victoria.
Since stage two of easing restrictions commenced on June 1, just nine new cases have been recorded in Queensland, he said.
Victoria has recorded dozens more COVID-19 cases each day since June 6. (9News)
That's in "stark contrast" to the surge of cases in Victoria – many of which have been locally acquired.
"They've more than six times the number of cases where the source of the infection could not be identified than we have had," Mr Miles said.
The state government is sending a strong message to Victoria, but has also extended a hand of support.
"We have called today for expressions of interest for 40 nurses who we will deploy to Victoria to assist them," Mr Miles said.
"We want to be able to use our resource in Victoria to assist them there.
"Our message to Victorians is please do not come here. Until these outbreaks are under control."

All Australians urged to stay away from Victoria

Australians who have family in Victoria or who were considering a trip during the school holidays have also been told in no uncertain terms not to go.
"Please do not go to Victoria. Stay in Queensland," Ms Palaszczuk said. She also directed the message to people in New South Wales.
"Our concern is people from New South Wales going into Victoria and then choosing to come to Queensland," she said.
For breaking news alerts and livestreams straight to your smartphone sign up to the 9News app and set notifications to on at the App Store or Google Play.
You can also get up-to-date information from the Federal Government's Coronavirus Australia app, available on theApp Store,Google Playandthe Government's WhatsApp channel.