Teen accused of sharing video of Christchurch terror attack denied bail
An 18-year-old New Zealander accused of sharing a livestream of a mass shooting across two mosques that left 50 dead has been denied bail.
Police have said the man - who cannot yet be named - was not involved in the attack in Christchurch allegedly carried out by Australian white supremacist Brenton Tarrant, 28, on Friday.
Appearing in the Christchurch District Court today, the accused was granted interim name suppression but was declined bail by Judge Stephen O'Driscoll.
The details behind the bail decision cannot be published.
He will appear in court again in April.
The teen faces two charges: one of sharing the live-stream and a second for posting a photograph of one of the mosque's attacked with the message "target acquired" along with other chat messages "inciting extreme violence".
If found guilty, could face up to 14 years' jail.
Facebook earlier said it had taken down 1.5 million copies of footage of the shooting that had been live-streamed by Tarrant in the 24 hours after.
Authorities and telecommunications companies were last week also left scrambling trying to have the videos taken down and urged the public not to share them.
© AAP 2019