Entertainment

MasterChef contestant Ben Ungermann breaks silence on sexual assault charges

MasterChef contestant Ben Ungermann breaks silence on sexual assault charges

MasterChef’s Ben Ungermann, who has been charged over the sexual assault of a 16-year-old girl, has broken his silence on the allegations on social media.

Mr Ungermann shared a tweet made by a man claiming to act for the cooking show contestant.

“I act for Ben Ungermann,” he said on Twitter. “Allegations against my client are vehemently denied and will be defended.”

Your cookie settings are preventing this third party content from displaying.

If you’d like to view this content, please adjust your .

To find out more about how we use cookies, please see our Cookie Guide.

The Masterchef contestant was charged with two sex offences against a 16-year-old girl while filming for the show was underway in Melbourne.

Victoria Police has confirmed detectives from the Melbourne Sexual Offences and Child Abuse Investigation Team charged the 33-year-old with two counts of sexual assault on March 6.

The Queensland-based chef has been bailed to appear at the Melbourne Magistrate’s Court on June 25.

Fans had been left guessing why Ungermann was no longer on the show, especially when he failed to appear on last week’s episode of MasterChef featuring Katy Perry.

But in a pre-recorded episode aired on Sunday, viewers were able to see how his awkward absence was dealt with by the judges.

Judge Jock Zonfrillo finally addressed the elephant in the room when opening the show on Sunday night. “You’re probably wondering where Ben is,” he said. “Due to a personal matter, Ben has had to leave the competition and he will not be returning.”