Idris Elba says he caught COVID-19 from another celebrity
Idris Elba claims he caught the deadly coronavirus from another celebrity.
The 47-year-old actor revealed on Monday he had tested positive for the virus — which can cause body aches, a high fever and a dry cough — but didn’t have any symptoms.
But the Luther actor has now revealed why he was tested, even though he hadn’t fallen sick.
“I was told that someone I had been in contact with had tested positive,” he said to his social media followers.
“I'm on location, about to start filming and the news breaks that this person, who is also in the public eye, had tested positive.
Your cookie settings are preventing this third party content from displaying.
If you’d like to view this content, please adjust your .
Elba didn't name the celebrity who passed on the virus, but he did confirm he was exposed at the start of the month.
“The early testing is the way we need to approach this,” he said.
“It's hard to say when I contracted the disease. I was exposed to it from March fourth.”
Since his diagnosis, the star has been self-isolating at home with his wife Sabrina.
“I wasn't showing any symptoms but I am very glad I made that decision to get tested. I have been out of contact with everyone since,” he said.
The London-born actor also urged his social media followers to remain calm and to not increase panic by spreading fake news.
“Please stop sending conspiracy theory nonsense about black people not being able to get coronavirus. It's dumb and very dangerous,” he said.