SA tourism sector hard hit with almost 95 per cent of businesses on JobKeeper
South Australia’s tourism sector has been hit hard but the pandemic, with 94 per cent of its businesses relying on JobKeeper to stay afloat.
A new survey from Business SA shows 75 per cent of organisations “suffered to a great degree” due to international restrictions, and 76.5 per cent were hurting from interstate restrictions.
According to the survey, 72.2 per cent of tourism enterprises forecast trade to be 50 per cent or lower by the end of September.
Under the state’s restrictions, the survey also suggested less than 10 per cent of tourism businesses believed they would only survive for another two months, while just over 30 per cent said they would stay afloat for up to six months.
“While the survey highlights that many sectors are starting to return to near normal levels of trade, sectors including tourism and events still require a further easing of restrictions to get back on their feet,” the report read.
The results come as Qatar Airways announced on Monday it would resume its regular international service to Adelaide as of next Sunday, after a five-month suspension.
The flights will help repatriate Australians, where travellers will complete mandatory 14-day isolation in supervised hotel quarantine.
Tourism Industry Council SA’s chief executive officer Shaun de Bruyn said the resumption of Qatar Airways flights showed the major airline saw strong business opportunities with Adelaide.
He said while the country’s border restrictions hindered demand in the short-term, he believed it would eventually return to normal.
“It also indicates that there is light at the end of the tunnel, which will provide reassurance to many struggling tourism businesses that rely on international markets,” Mr de Bruyn said.
“Once international borders reopen, it is important that we have international aviation services ready to go as this will be vital to the fast and strong recovery of our tourism industry.
“Our tourism industry is still vulnerable and will require ongoing government assistance until international demand returns and tourism businesses can operate again at full capacity.”
Last month, Emirates announced it was pulling out of Adelaide amid the global travel disruption caused by the virus.
More than 200 people are in supervised quarantine in the Peppers Hotel in Adelaide’s CBD after 149 passengers arrived on an Air India plane and another 123 passengers on-board a Singapore Airlines flight landed on Saturday.
Under current border restrictions, those entering South Australia from Western Australia, Northern Territory, Queensland and Tasmania and do not need to self-isolate.
Those entering from New South Wales or the Australian Capital Territory must quarantine for two weeks and only pre-approved essential travellers can enter from Victoria.